The ESAP is a policy document that establishes the environmental policy goals and key activities up to 2030 and beyond. It should strengthen the environmental frameworks within the country and should specifically help facilitate the transposition of EU’s environmental acquis at different jurisdictional levels within the country – at BiH level, Federation of BiH (FBiH), Republika Srpska (RS) and Brčko District (BD).
The BiH ESAP 2030+ will be developed for a period up to 2032 and beyond.
The overarching ESAP document will incorporate four action plans, one per each jurisdiction level. All four action plans will share the same strategic goals and sub-goals and key principles. Each jurisdiction-level Action plan will articulate their own set of thematic goals for each of the seven broad thematic areas to be covered. Finally, each plan will define their own priority actions to meet these goals and targets.
The content of BiH ESAP will cover the following seven EU environmental policy areas:
- Biodiversity and nature conservation
- Air quality, climate and energy
- Chemical safety and noise
- Resource management
- Environmental management (as horizontal policy)
The development process of BiH ESAP 2030+ follows a participatory approach, meaning it will include all relevant institutions, the general public, private sector and civil society organizations, as well as the environment expert community in BiH. By using a variety of communication tools, the wider public consultation will be conducted following the ESAP and Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) development phases. Key activities include:
- Public display of the BiH Situation Analysis report (7 thematic areas, 4 jurisdictions)
- E-consultation tool for documents as they are drafted
- Invitation to provide inputs to the draft SEA programme document
- Public forums to present the draft Action plans (thematic goals, targets and priority actions)
- A formal extended consultation on the draft ESAP and SEA documents
The process also promotes mutual respect and equality in terms of gender, nationality, religion, irrespective of place of living and income.